Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

     Hello.  It was another day at the cafe today.  Here is what I did...
     This is Table #1, the main table that I paint on.  You can see my palette, brushes, coffee cup, and several examples of napkin art.
     Here is Table #2, at the beginning of a typical cafe session, which can last three or four hours.
     Here are both tables together, during the middle of one of my painting sessions.
     Here is Table #1 again, near the end of my session.

     People pretty much ignore me, and what I am doing in the cafe.  This is not true at the bar, where drunk people are often a little more open.

     I do get bitter, pinched looks from old ladies, who seem to judge and scour over what I am doing.

     I can tell that most people in the cafe don't even have five bucks to make a purchase of one of my pieces, if they were inclined to do so in the first place.

     I don't know why I bother with these people.  It is just that this particular cafe is fantastic to paint in because it is kind of run down, and it has a 'northern light' window, which is the best for painters.

     It is almost as if people fight and strain with themselves to Not look at my art, as if I was Medusa, and my art was poison.

     I have done artwork in this cafe for three years, and 99% of the customers couldn't give a s*** about what I was doing.

     Yet, in this very same cafe, I had a $60 sale a couple of weeks ago.

     I don't know why the people there are so uptight about me and my art.  I don't know what they expect from an artist, or if they even think that I am one.  Or maybe they think I suck.  Or maybe they are preoccupied with themselves.  Or maybe they aren't ready for my art.  Or maybe they are all a bunch of @ssholes, I'm not sure.  Or maybe they think they are better than me as a person, and that my efforts are beneath their notice.  Truck them.

     Yet, I will continue painting in this cafe, and I don't care how long it takes to win them over.  They will get used to me, or live in denial that somebody is doing something pretty cool in a public cafe.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment